Friday, February 28, 2020

40 Days of Embracing Uncertainty - Day 3 (for Friday, February 28)

Over the years, I've been blessed to have received some really good advice.  My junior high basketball coaches advised me to lift up my feet so I wouldn’t trip over the painted lines on the court (I tried, but I was always finding myself on the hard-court floor).  My high school golf coach told me more than once that if I hit a bad shot to forget about it and make the next one better (I have forgotten so many bad shots over the years and can't recall any of the good ones).  My dad advised me not to purchase a mobile home (I did anyway). 

My father-in-law always advised me on taking care of the finances in the home and don’t have a good time on borrowed money (I didn't really follow his advice to the letter).  A well respected person in my home church encouraged me to always make copies (I followed his advice and now I don't know what to do with all of the hard copies I have - he never told me about any statute of limitations on how long I should keep them).  When I was going into the ministry, my brother advised me to make sure I was in a Bible believing church (I have remembered that advice throughout the years and hopefully have followed it). 

Even my daughter gave me some advice when we were in Israel several years ago.  Generally we traveled to some very warm places (it was during March).  But, on this one day, we were up in the highlands of Israel, near the Syrian border.  The temperature had gone from near 80 to 55 degrees – I mentioned to her that I was cold.  Her advice?  “Suck it up, buttercup, you’re from Minnesota” she said, quite matter-of-factly.  Ego somewhat bruised, I pulled my light weight (there it is) jacket up over my neck and shrugged.  But she was right.  I was from Minnesota and was shaming my heritage.  Good call on her part.

When we think back on it, someone has always been giving us advice.  Some of it we follow – some of it we don’t.  Some of it is excellent advice.  Some of it we’d rather not hear.  Like the disciples in that moment when Jesus told them that the Son of Man would need to be killed and after three days would rise again.  The advice part of what Jesus was saying to them was that they would listen carefully to what he was saying – take it to heart – hear His words of wisdom.  In that moment, they didn’t really get it.  It wouldn’t be until later after the resurrection that the evening lantern would turn on over their heads and they would finally understand what Jesus was telling them.

The Bible has so many words of advice to offer us.  Will we choose to listen to them or allow them to pass over us, as we shrug our shoulders and move on?  My advice?  Listen to what the Bible has to say.  Listen to what Jesus is telling you.  Follow His advice.  

As far as how hard that advice might be to implement or even understand, I echo my daughter’s words – “Suck it up, buttercup – you’re one of God’s children… you’ll get it – just follow Him!”

No comments:

Post a Comment