Friday, February 12, 2016

Something Old - Something New

For the past few days, I've marveled at the number of volunteers who have come to the church fellowship hall, helping the First United Methodist Women's group prepare for the annual Rummage Sale which begins today from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and on Saturday starting at 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.  

It's been a joy to watch people give of their time to help others.  It's also been overwhelming to witness the amount of items given to support this mission fundraiser.  So many items from shirts to shoes, Christmas decorations to kitchen items, books to toys... many have donated these items because they can.  Not only that, but a large crew of people are present to help others get what they need, carry it out for them, and just be in friendship and fellowship with these area neighbors.  The proceeds from the rummage sale will be donated - 100% of the funds raised will go to help others in various missions across this nation and the world.  A lot of energy expended to God's glory.

I did something quite unusual for me.  I picked up a used guitar for $5, thinking that I would like to learn how to play that instrument.  I never do things like that, but who knows?  I don't plan on becoming the next Carlos Santana or Chet Atkins (my dad's all time favorite guitar player) but I might learn something about myself.  I might be reminded that I am never beyond being able to try something new.  I might learn that with God I can do all things, even learn how to play a new instrument. Then again, I might learn to not give up my day job.   

What matters is that we be open to try.  That we would have a spirit of adventure in life - that we would be so willing to trust in the Lord that he would lead and guide us no matter what pathway we have decided to chose, especially if that pathway encompasses a new challenge, learning a new skill or moving from one chapter of life to another.  You see, they are all connected.  God is always in the midst of the next new thing.

In fact, He's also in the midst of our old things as well. Just check out a rummage sale and you'll see.

"See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland."
- Isaiah 43:19

No comments:

Post a Comment