Saturday, March 10, 2018

"The Cost of Freedom"


“Don’t know much about history” – the Herman’s Hermits hit song from the 60’s echoed in the recesses of my mind as I spent a relatively quiet Saturday at my daughter’s home at the Naval Base located in Naples, Italy.  The famous line from the song “What a Wonderful World This Would Be” resonated with me as I learned about the historical reasons the United States has operated a military presence in this part of the world since after World War II. 

I may not have known much about the historical reasons that our military is located in this region of the world, but after learning a little about it, I really began to appreciate the 15,000 women and men who serve our nation by being present in this part of the world.  Allow me to give you a layman’s interpretation of the importance of this region.

The Sixth Fleet of the United States Navy provides support for the security and stability of Europe and Africa.  The base where Erin and Josh live provides living support for the families of the servicewomen and men who are committed to giving their best in serving not only our nation, but the world in peacekeeping in this part of the world.  

I have always been proud of Josh’s accomplishments as a lawyer in the Navy, and ever more so today as a citizen of the United States as I see the importance of their work in the world. 

Perhaps our recent history has cast a darker shadow over the land we love with the events that have happened politically and socially.  I’m not feeling that here.  The Armed Forces are doing us proud as they band together so far from their homes, providing safety and security to a world that we rarely see. 

I know this post doesn't have the personal stories of the previous two, but I hope you will hear this plea - please continue to lift up our service women and men in prayer.  They are working hard with great sacrifice in serving our nation proudly – not only in Italy, but in many locations across the world and at home - all for the precious right of freedom for all people.  The United States of America is a good and noble country when we are at our best.  These folks are the brightest and best of us - doing us proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment