Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Guitar Man

I mentioned in the last post that I had purchased a guitar at the church rummage sale for $5.  It isn't the best guitar, but it might be okay for a beginner like myself.  I haven't yet decided on the specific plan to learn how to play this instrument.  I think it might be good to take a few lessons from somebody who knows how to do it.  I downloaded an app that helped me tune the strings and believe me, it sounds a lot better.  But I might need to invest in an instrument that has a bit more going for it and doesn't have that musty smell (#beeninthebasementforyears - #wheresthelysolwhenyouneedit)  It's something that I've always had in the back recesses of my mind and suddenly, for some reason, now it seems to be important to learn how to play it.

I draw some encouragement from the example my father set.  One memory I shall always treasure is the sound of my dad's guitar - a Gretsch model - with its gentle sounds and melodious blend of chords softly invading the night's stillness.  From what I know, he taught himself how to play it.  When he retired, he set about trying to teach others for a time and had some marginal success.  I wish I would have paid more attention to how my dad learned and perhaps how he could have taught me.  But, that wasn't where my heart was at any time in my youth.

Isn't that a part of growing up?  Learning that I could have paid more attention to things that my parents did or could have learned had I not been so wrapped up in my own agenda?  The other day I had a conversation with my son who said that as he became father for the first time, it was as if some of the things that I was all about clicked for him - the light bulb went on.  Nearly overnight, he gets me much more than he knew.  Just because something changed in his life that caused him to look back for a moment and realize that there is redeeming value in what parents are all about.


Exodus 20:12 offers great wisdom in all of this:"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you."  
It's a commandment. It's not a suggestion.  It's not a recommendation.  It's a command - an imperative.  We do this because it's right and it's good and we are commanded by the Lord to do it.  Now, I'm not saying that learning how to play something that your parents played is the end all.  There are countless numbers of things my dad and mom taught me growing up.  I've embraced some of those things and incorporated them into the way by which I live.  Of course, I didn't always do that - I had my rebellious moments.

But in the rhythm of life, there's always a time to learn something new.  It's a nice thing to know that it's never too late to realize that you can learn from those who know you pretty well and love you the best.   

No comments:

Post a Comment