Thursday, October 10, 2024

Cleaning Out the Garage

There is a ritual that happens each fall and it is especially germane to this particular part of the world. People begin to shut down and prepare for the winter ahead. We can’t know how harsh this winter may be. The Farmers' Almanac predicts a wet and cold winter for most of the United States in 2024–2025. The Almanac expects La NiƱa to develop and persist throughout the season, which translates to a wet, cold winter.

We know we need to prepare.  We need to move the summer furniture into the garage or cover it for the cold winter months. The BBQ grill needs to be safely stored as well as the lawn mower.   In the meantime, we fire up the snow blower, getting ready for the inevitable.  We ready the outdoor holiday lights, making sure that all of them work.   The leaves will need to be raked and disposed of, clearing our lawns for the hoped for spring of 2025.

For me something is different about this process.   We are four months removed from coming from Worthington to Rochester.  I still need to complete unpacking boxes that have been sitting in my garage so that I can park my car in there during the winter months.  When I moved to Worthington in the summer of 2013, many of those boxes came along with me from my previous home.  Each held a variety of things that – quite honestly – I will never use again.  An old circular saw that has a rusted blade.  Pieces from a left-over croquet set.  Various brooms from my broomball playing days (which are over).  There’s even a bowling ball with the name “Dan” on it (there’s a story about that from long ago). 

When I think about it, there isn’t anything in those boxes that I need.  I have been addressing that issue.  Since moving we have made countless trips to the recycling center and to Savers and Goodwill.  Innocently over the years, I’ve accumulated stuff that I no longer need, use, or want.  None of these items are useful (except for the bowling ball, which I will need to change my name to use).  

It happens, doesn’t it?  One day we wake up and find out we have stuff we no longer need, use, or want... or, honestly, fit any longer.

We gather those things that we needed at the time but have now outlived their usefulness.  Listen to what Jesus said about gathering stuff from the Gospel of Luke: “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” – Luke 12:15.

This seems easy enough to understand.  Our lives are not measured by the things we accumulate.  Be on your guard against amassing things just because you might be able to or because you feel as though you need those things.  We might discover that one day, we may have missed the accumulation of other things which are infinitely more important: generosity and kindness toward others, a caring spirit, a loving heart, and a joyful life.  

I’d venture a guess that if we accumulated these characteristics over the years that our lives would be rich and full beyond measure, because those are things that are never stored in a box!

As winter approaches and you make your household ready for the cold winter weather, keep this teaching from Jesus in mind.  And by all means, follow my example.   

I’m throwing out everything except the bowling ball.  You never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment