Thursday, March 19, 2020

40 Days of Embracing Uncertainty - Day 19 (for Wednesday, March 18)


I am beginning to wonder if everything that our world is dealing with is starting to make an impact upon my thought processes.  I’m not going to pretend that this is impacting me only – obviously this impacts every one of our lives.  But it might be true that each one may be impacted differently.  Here’s what I mean.  I was driving home the other day when I looked at my information panel on our Ford Echo.  I had a hard time understanding what my eyes were seeing.  Under the current outside temperature, the reading said 68 degrees.  That can’t be right, I thought to myself.  It outside temp is more like mid-40’s.  I looked at it again and it read the same.  I stopped the car and restarted the engine, thinking that would clear the screen and start fresh. 

That didn’t work… the temperature still read 68 degrees.  I was so dumbfounded that I thought I’d better take a picture of it so I could show the automotive shop when I brought it in to have it looked at.  I figured the outside temperature sensor was faulty.  Here’s the thing I thought next: I wondered if my vehicle had caught some kind of computer virus that caused the outside temperature sensor to show a temp that was so obviously wrong.  Man, I thought, you have virus outbreak on the brain.  Get a grip.

He came to himself and realized he needed to get a grip.  I’m not talking about myself in the third person.  No, I’m talking about the story of the prodigal son told in Luke’s 15th chapter.  We’ve heard and read this parable countless numbers of times.  We are familiar with how the son demanded his inheritance, went off to a far away land and spent every dime he was given.  When he finally “came to his senses”, he decided he would be better off returning home, asking for forgiveness and seeing what his future might hold back home. 

His father’s grace was amazing and not only was he forgiven, but the father pulled out all the stops for his son, once lost, now found.  The older brother didn’t like it one bit – the father said “that’s too bad, I will do what I want and you can’t stop me from forgiving my son and loving him” – I’m paraphrasing, of course.

The author of this day’s devotional centers his thought on the actions of the father – forgiving, loving, unconditional actions of love and care toward his wayward son.  No doubt those are common themes.  I’d like to think there is another theme at stake here… who is in and who is out.  Checking back to the beginning of this chapter, Jesus is at odds with the scribes and the Pharisees over welcoming sinners and eating with them (an action that Jewish heritage would have strongly discouraged because it would make the person unclean).  Jesus immediately tells several stories about those who are lost and found – the lost sheep and the lost coin.  Then he tells the story of the lost son.

It’s easy to miss what I think is the primary point: I believe Jesus is telling the religious establishment that everyone is line to receive God’s grace and forgiveness – even those who are on the outside looking in.  And it’s God’s grace to give out.  There is nothing that the Pharisees can do about it.  Which is one more reason why the Pharisees want to do away with Jesus.  He is just getting too dangerous for their purposes.

This story (among others) would lead Jesus to the cross. 

I was sitting talking with Nancy later that night (when I stopped along the road) and was telling her about what I had seen, when suddenly a thought came to me that was crystal clear about what happened.  It really wasn’t the outside temperature I was looking at all along.  That was the inside temperature setting!  I lost my perspective for a moment, but then found it again.

I tie these two stories together by suggesting that it’s easy for us to lose our perspective in life, especially when it comes to understanding God’s grace and forgiveness and who is in and who is out.  My advice for these days?  Pause – take a deep breath – and get a grip.  God’s grace will carry us through – and then some!

No comments:

Post a Comment