Saturday, March 21, 2020

40 Days of Embracing Uncertainty - Day 21 (for Friday, March 20)


On Thursday in Worthington, we received about four inches of wet snow.  If there is anything that I grow tired of very quickly, it's shoveling snow in March.  Later this week, I heard that the temperature is supposed to be in the 50's - everything should be melted by then.  So, what was I thinking as I went outside this afternoon and shoveled all the snow on the sidewalks and the driveway by hand?

Actually, I need to have some physical exercise.  I took my time, not really pushing it.  The sun was shining and as I began to remove the snow you could tell that the pavement was going to dry off very quickly.  I was about halfway through when I heard geese honking somewhere in the afternoon sky.  I looked up and saw two of them flying right toward me.  As they honked at me on their flyby, I could hear their wings flapping in the wind.  I felt like I could almost reach up and touch them.  I wondered what they were thinking.  Can geese think?  I mean, I’m sure they have some kind of brain but do they think like humans?  Funny what shoveling humans think about when they are removing March snow.

I really wanted to clear the sidewalk before the mail came.  I didn’t do a very good job of clearing a snow path between our house and the next one.  It’s always a nice thing to do for the mail person delivering the mail – they don’t need to walk through the heavy snow.  I was glad I had the walkway cleared when the mailperson showed up - winter garb with heavy boots and all.  I was glad I could take a break for a moment as I leaned on the shovel and asked her “How are you doing?“ 

She replied “Not too bad - but I don't like the snow”.  I nodded in full agreement, still leaning on my shovel – I paused a mini-second and I remembered to thank her for all that she did.  She had kept on moving - no time for small talk with clueless guys who spend their afternoons shoveling their walk and wondering if geese can think like humans.

I’m not sure we ever get to do that enough - thank those persons who deliver mail and packages for us – to thank them for doing their jobs.  Some might think it is a small thing to thank someone for just doing what they are paid to do.  This situation we are in right now has challenged me to think otherwise.  Perhaps it is a small thing – but right now a lot of small things put together might be pretty important.

Small things like a mustard seed-sized faith.  Jesus answers the disciples’ insistence that he increase their faith.  He told them that if they had faith as small as a mustard seed, “you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.” (Luke 17:6).  I have spoken to many persons who have what I would call great faith, but I wonder if any of them would say their faith is as small as a mustard seed (there I go, wondering again). 

This saying is one of the more challenging sayings from Jesus in all of Scripture.  What does it mean to have mustard seed-sized faith?  Let’s try a simple explanation: when we think about God and place our belief in Him, having a little is really having a lot when it comes from God.  The Almighty is so powerful.  Our faith in God doesn’t need to be so huge in order for God to do something for us.

I wish I could answer the next question on my heart: so, if I have mustard seed-sized faith, will God remove this coronavirus from the face of the earth?  I believe God has the power to do that, but I’m in no position to wonder if that is part of God’s plan to do that.  The best I can do (and that we can do) is continue to have faith – even a little faith – that God understands and walks with us in this pandemic time.

I wonder what the geese would think about that…

No comments:

Post a Comment