Saturday, April 11, 2020

40 Days of Embracing Uncertainty - Day 39 (for Good Friday, April 10)

Oh my goodness!  I was sitting in my chair at the office and suddenly realized I had two more devotional blogs to enter before the night ends!  I did sit down yesterday (Good Friday) to enter my Day 39 blog, but I really didn't feel like talking about the primary focus of "Embracing the Uncertain" devotional book: Pontius Pilate.  It's not that I really disagreed with anything the author of the devotional was suggesting.  I was just having a moment, not wanting to write something against the Roman Governor of Jerusalem.  So I cast it aside, thinking I would come up with something sooner or later.  

Well, it's later than sooner.

I'm telling you it was a busy day today.  The office staff (okay, Susan and I) decided to purchase ten Easter Lilies for the sanctuary.  The paraments had to be changed to white, so I did that.  Jolene Kuhl was in practicing the organ for Easter Sunday and helped arrange the lilies in the sanctuary (keeping proper social distancing restrictions in effect).  I was working on tonight's Saturday Reflections (which starts in 30 minutes - just enough time to finish this blog).  And I have tomorrow's Zoom for Kids at 9:00 a.m. and of course, the Sunday message.  Easter Sunday - most important message of the year.

So all of these things going on and I was supposed to stop and write about Pilate.  I really don't have any time for him.  He could have gone a different route than he did - he was the Governor after all.  But his pride for keeping his politics in place really got in the way of making a different judgment against Jesus.  

So, no, I don't have any time for this guy... wait.  Wait a minute.

I sitting here thinking that I am acting very similarly to Pilate as he responded to Jesus.  He didn't have time to spend on this rebellion.  He cared little for the religious elite - it was his job to keep the order and not let things get out of hand.  More than likely, the request that came from the scribes and Pharisees was one that made him think "I don''t have time for this!  I've got other things more pressing going on.  Handle it yourself.  I can't be bothered with this Jesus of Nazareth who says he is a king."

Okay, I get it.  There are times when I can act similarly to Pilate.  I may not want to nor try to, but my stubborn humanness gets in the way.  My own agenda always seems to muddy up the waters.  So, okay, I ended up writing about Pilate after all.

Funny how that worked out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment