Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Small Things

One of the things I learned to pay attention to is that sometimes small things can make a big difference.  I'm certain I didn't pick this up right away, but over the years, I've discovered this statement to be so true.  I've seen it over and over again... a small gesture of appreciation, a small act of kindness, a small word of encouragement.  These and other small things go along way to making a huge difference in the lives of people.  Even small things like our dog Maisy.

Maisy, our five month old dog, has been absolutely ruling the house over Ruby, our three year old cat.  She loves to "play" with Ruby... but there's one problem with that: Ruby doesn't want to play.  Maisy will latch on to Ruby (she's been practicing her biting techniques on Nancy and myself).  But Ruby doesn't really appreciate being that close to Maisy.  So after several meows and growls and howls, Ruby finally gives up and goes down the stairs because Maisy hasn't learned how to negotiate the stairs yet.  Our small dog Maisy has made a big difference in the life of Ruby.

Small things are adding up during this once-in-a-lifetime pandemic.  When people call to check up on people, it matters to those who have been hunkered down, protecting themselves from this rapidly spreading virus.  When someone does a kind deed like picking up groceries for someone, it matters to those who don't feel comfortable venturing out in public.  When a person prays for another person for whatever the request might be, it matters to the person being prayed for, knowing that not only others care for them, but God cares for them.  Small things make a big difference..

I came home from the office today and discovered this written in chalk on our driveway: "An awesome Pastor and his awesome wife live here!"  I can't even begin to tell you how this small thing matters in my life.  It's not that I believe for a moment that I am so deserving of an accolade like that.  I have my good moments, but I also have my bad ones too.  I'm just a ordinary guy with an extraordinary message.  What makes this huge is that somebody went out of their way to make my day special.  I have no idea who did it.  It only matters because I'd love for them to know how deeply Nancy and I appreciate the feelings behind it.

Only because we live in an awesome part of Minnesota - Worthington, Rushmore, Adrian, Bigelow, Brewster... Nancy and I are the ones who feel blessed.  

Because small things matter.  Don't underestimate them.  Just do it.  Do the small things for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment