Saturday, April 4, 2020

40 Days of Embracing Uncertainty - Day 34 (for Saturday, April 4)

In July of this year, I will have been in the ministry for 30 years.  That seems like a long time.  Three decades ago my family and I left our hometown and forged out to where God had set before us.  I can't say enough about my family's support all this time.  I know there were tough times.  It couldn't have been the easiest thing, being in a family of a United Methodist pastor.  But Nancy, Erik, Erin, and LIz walked with me every step of the way.  Their loving support and unwavering devotion were so important to me.  

Sounds like I am making some kind of retirement speech.  Relax.  Not just yet.  

True, my family has been supportive, but so have the churches that I have been blessed to be in ministry with throughout those years.  Each congregation helped me grow even further in my faith.  In each community I served I met wonderful people who taught me their faith and values.  I've learned from my clergy colleagues and my seminary and doctorate instructors.  I've been places like Israel (twice) where I've learned that I still have so much to learn.  For the past seven years, the people of Emmanuel Church, First Church and Adrian Church have also walked with me and helped me to grow as a disciple of Jesus Christ.  

Yet, in all of this growth, I have never perceived my faith to be strong enough to move a mountain and throw it into the sea.  The interchange between Jesus and his disciples causes me to wonder about that statement.  Does it mean that I am faithless?  Do I still have more to learn?  More to grow?  How do I interpret this section of Matthew's gospel, after nearly thirty years of learning, growing, and serving?

It's important to remember this story comes right after the cleansing of the temple.  Jesus was upset over the practices being employed by the religious leadership.  On his way back to where they were staying, his encounter with the unfruitful fig tree seems to be an example of how faith and fruitfulness go together.  The religious authorities were missing the point.  Their efforts were just as empty as the fruitless fig tree.  

I have no aspirations to be a dynamic super pastor or anything like that.  But that doesn't mean I don't want to be effective.  I do - I do want to be able to point to the One who makes a difference in our lives and hope that others will be motivated to increase their understanding of what that means for each one of them.  I could care less about any personal agenda.  I only want to serve the Lord in what and where he has called me to do that.  Truly, it has been God's leading and amazing grace that has given me the foundational support for anything that I have done in ministry.  Certainly I have made mistakes along the way - are you kiddin' me?  Of course I have not been perfect.  Many of you know that already.

But for as long as I can, with God's guiding and loving hand, I will do my level best but for God's love.  Perhaps one day, I might realize that the mountains are barriers and obstacles we experience will be leveled and flattened because we believe.  Because we have faith.  Perhaps one day, I will understand that is what Jesus was talking about with his disciples.

Does that work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment