Monday, April 6, 2020

40 Days of Embracing Uncertainty - Day 35 (for Monday, April 6)

To "Stay at Home" or not to "Stay at Home" - that is the question.  Ever since Minnesota State Governor Walz announced the "Stay at Home" order, many persons have done exactly that - stayed home.  Others have ventured out, whether properly because of their job status qualifies as essential or because they are in need of the bare necessities of life or because they have cabin fever and just need to get out of the house.  I understand that there is a section of that order that says you need to get out of the house for leisure time and we can see that in the community of the nicer days.  People are out walking with their families, with their dogs (interesting... I never see them walking with their cats), or pushing the infant strollers to get the kids some fresh air. 

I want to believe that obedience to the Governor's order is the norm for most people.  Obedience is a common denominator for peace in the midst of chaos.  Jesus tells three parables that speak to the issue of obedience to God's pathway.  From Matthew 21:28-22:14, three stories point out the importance of being obedient to God.  They are the parable of the two sons, the parable of the tenants, and the parable of the wedding banquet.  Each story is a bit different than the other, but the primary focus is clear: we can try to live life on our own terms, but God won't have it.  We must be obedient to His way.

Here is why I think that is so hard for us - and when I say us, let me change that to me.  I don't want to impose my shortcomings upon anyone.  I will own my personal stuff here.  It's hard for me because I have a free will that often wants to do what I want to do.  For example, if I deem it necessary that I need to go to the grocery store for something that is not necessary for living, then I am violating the order or at least the intention of the order that Governor Walz gave us.  I might experience a fleeting moment of joy depending upon what I purchased, but it won't last.  In fact, it may inflict some damages upon others if I'm not being obedient - I may not even be aware that I'm doing it.  

I need to be mindful of my own disobedience.  Like I said, I will own that.  Most times I do fairly well at being aware of the moments when my desire leads me to want to go off the grid.  Most times, I can pause and decide to go another route - or not go that route at any rate.  

In these days, our self discipline of staying at home means a great deal to slowing the advance of this virus.  Our self discipline of staying at home with our obedience of heart and mind also means a great deal to the advance of our spiritual growth.  

There's nothing wrong with "staying home"... 

No comments:

Post a Comment