Thursday, April 16, 2020

The Jeweler

I'm not even sure how things like this happen... I looked at my watch band the other day and realized that one of the links was unlinked (not sure if that is even a word).  I had this band replaced by a local jeweler several years ago.  It's a Speidel watch band, if that means anything.  I am not certain that this jewelry store is even open because of the order barring non-essential places from being open.  I was resigned to the idea that I would have to repair it myself.  I have no idea how the link broke (I'm not in a high energy, physically stressed filled job, after all).  So, I set about repairing the broken link.


I had all the tools I felt necessary: a large pair of pliers, a very small pair of tweezers, an equally small flat screwdriver, and my newest toy, a lighted magnifying glass with holder.  That last tool allows you to work hands free on something that is smaller than the naked eye can see.  Repairs on broken watch band links qualifies as smaller than the naked eye.  I did my best to remove one link from the watch band.  It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done - I readily admit, I'm not a jeweler nor should I ever be a candidate to be one.  Usually, in matters like this, I can sometimes hold my own.  And sometimes, a broken link can get the best of me.

I think that's what this past month symbolizes for me - it's like a broken link in our lives.  The Stay at Home order, the face masks, social distancing, not to mention the disruption of our entire schedules can make us feel as though a link in our normal lives has been unlinked.  We are in a very different place than we have ever been before.


I wish I had an easy answer to how we can link back to the normality of life.  Many have suggested that we will never be able to go back - that our lives will be forever in a new normal.  I can see that.  Will our gatherings ever be the same as we wonder if this virus has lost its grip on our world?  I cannot envision that.  The authorities are talking about a three-phase process of restarting the economy and a return to some semblance of normal life.  We will need to exercise caution because this could backfire upon us and we'll have gained nothing.  What I really want to know is how can I - how can we - keep our lives linked to the important things we have always held dear?


The solution can never come from our own efforts or striving, but comes only from Him.  In other words, we need a jeweler who has the ability to put our broken links back together, make them stronger than they ever have been before and ensure that the connecting links have been repaired with expert ability.  For me, our Lord is that heavenly jeweler.  Personally, I've discovered that I cannot sustain the effort to try and do it myself.  I must submit or turn it over to God and allow God to put things back together.  I trust His ability to cement his promises with my life.  If I ever desire to experience a sense of wholeness, normality, or even unbrokenness again (whatever you'd like to call it), I have to put my time on this earth in the heavenly jeweler's hands.


Only then will life make sense and order will be restored at long last.

No comments:

Post a Comment