Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas Day - 2015

So, here is the latest attempt at sharing a few thoughts via the blogger's route.  I've been here before and haven't been very successful at sustaining a consistent blog.  I think the last entry I had was two years ago.  A lot can happen in two years.  

So, I'm not suggesting that it's going to be an easy thing, but I'm resolved to doing my best.  I write enough during the week just getting ready to preach on Sundays that writing a blog may be a daunting enough challenge.  So let's just get this started.

It's Christmas Day and I'm waiting for my wife to finish working so we can visit with our daughter's family.  It's been an unusual Christmas for me in many respects.  I'm used to being around people - family.  I've always awoke from a long winter's nap to the happy sound of children who are ready to open the presents.  Every year - but not this one.  It was - as I said - unusual.

And yet, we have FaceTime, which allows us to be in the homes of our children's families no matter where they are (in this case, on the eastern seaboard of the United States). Amazing thing - FaceTime.  Grateful to be able to see and hear the grandchildren as they share their day with us.  Never had that opportunity as a child.  I was talking about this with my own mother earlier today... this being the social media dynamic of this world we live in compared with the face to face need we all have to interact with one another.  She wondered what would happen if the system crashed - would people who are so dependent upon the internet be able to function without it?

I told her I thought they could because we are wired to have connections.  We are better when we have connections.  I don't think it would be too hard to get back to face to face interactions if these social media venues weren't available.  

It's how we are made.

Let's look at that a bit more closely in the next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment