Thursday, December 31, 2015

My Most Compelling Moment in 2015

Ok, so I haven't received any comments on anyone's most compelling moment in 2015.  No problem.  I'll just share mine and we'll go on from there.

I actually had a difficult time choosing just one moment.  From my list, I was captivated by our visit to Arlington National Cemetery and what I learned there regarding the Cemetery's history.  I also was amazed at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider's changing of the guard - I so appreciated the reverence for that location and what it represents. Another moment that was very cool was when I was able to baptize my seventh grandson in the Atlantic Ocean.  Yeah, that was a great moment.  I also had a number of times that I connect with my children and grandchildren which were terrific moments and I wouldn't trade them for anything.  These were just a few of a number of personal moments that I believe were compelling.

I have to add one from a professional perspective.  It was during October of 2015.  That time of year is a time reserved for Pastor's Appreciation Month.  Over the years this has never been a time of great revelation.  I haven't always placed a lot of stock in the amount of appreciation that has been shared - or hasn't been shared.  In all of the churches that I have been appointed, I've never felt unappreciated throughout the year.  So when this time of year comes around, I usually don't expect anything unusual.

This calendar year of 2015 was different.  Honestly, I received more cards and well wishes during this October than I have in 25 years of ministry!  It really threw me for a loop.  I didn't anticipate this kind of response.  In truth, I wasn't really prepared to respond to it myself.  I was in the twilight zone - a place I had never been before.

One definition of compelling is something that evokes interest, attention, or admiration in a powerfully irresistible way.  For so many people to express their appreciation to Nancy and me for our shared ministry was irresistible.  It was a special moment in time, which I shall always treasure in my heart.  Mostly because I didn't go into the ministry seeking accolades or measures of appreciation.  I would hope that my only motivation was to help others grow closer in their relationship to God and Jesus.  

So, yeah, there it is - a compelling moment in 2015 that I never anticipated nor expected.  But I cherish it and give God all the glory for it.

There should be a month for congregational appreciation from the clergy.  Worthington First and Emmanuel United Methodist Churches would get my appreciation, right from the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment