Sunday, December 27, 2015

Winter Storm Warnings

I hear that the weather report for tomorrow and Tuesday calls for a winter storm warning and no travel is advised. Usually, that's enough for me.  I don't have any desire to battle the elements when I can stay inside in relative comfort and warmth.  I suppose you could say that I have no sense of adventure.

You'd be welcome to that opinion... but you'd be incorrect in your assumption.

Because there have been adventures in the snowstorms of life that I have experienced over the past years.  Times when I've slipped and fallen.  Moments when I've been buried in the avalanche of change and transition.  Events which have brought the howling winds of distress down upon my life.  I would call these moments adventures. I have no wish to go back and relive them.  Once is enough.

The one key constant that has always been my saving grace has been just that - the saving grace of God.  So many times the Spirit of the Lord has cleared the way.  How I am grateful for the moments when the presence of the living God warmed my heart and comforted my soul.  Even when I haven't been paying attention, God has always been the snowplow of my life, forging ahead and clearing the way so that I may travel along the adventure in safety and security.  God was present when I was preparing to enter the ministry.  God was guiding my steps along the way.  God was there.

And the great thing about all of this is that God is still there.  God's presence is the constant that we can count on.  
"For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you."  Isaiah 41:13(NIV)
Trust in God during the storms of your life.  Best thing you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment