Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Proverbs: Day 12 - That's Just Stupid! - [Chapter 12]

When I read the first verse from chapter 12 of Solomon's wisdom known as Proverbs, I had to stop and read it again. The version I have says it like this: "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid." [New International Version]  There are a number of other versions that use the same word at the end of the verse: stupid.  

I don't know about you, but I've always been taught not to use the word "stupid".  I haven't always listened to that teaching.  In my younger days, I know I've used that word to describe a situation or someone's response to something that I didn't agree with or something like that.  In fact, I might have used it moments after the Vikings - Seahawks game was over last Sunday (or maybe I thought it... I cannot say for sure).
Here is how Strong's Concordance defines the word:

בָּעַר - bâʽar  baw-ar'
A primitive root; to kindle, that is, consume (by fire or by eating); also (as denominative from H1198) to be (becomebrutish: - be brutish, bring (put, take) away, burn, (cause to) eat (up), feed, heat, kindle, set ([on fire]), waste.

I'm curious as to how this word was translated to the word stupid.  As I dig a little deeper, I see that the word "brutish" was used in the King James Version of the Bible. That word's definition is cruel, violent, and stupid : resembling or suggesting a beast.  I can appreciate the use of the term if I remember the time in which it was used.  Beasts of burden (cattle, oxen, etc) were used in those days and were often referred to as stupid (or brutish).

A primary difference between humans and these beasts of burden is the ability to acquire and learn knowledge... to communicate this to others by actions and being able to demonstrate the ability to change because knowledge has been obtained.  Solomon knows this and his primary focus in this first verse is to let people know that we have the ability to learn more - to gain wisdom - and if we choose not to learn or not to gain wisdom, then we are no different from a beast.  It's a waste.

I'm fairly confident that Solomon would be accused of not being politically correct in this day and age.  He talks about people being nobodies and fools and the wicked.  One has to admire him for calling it as it is.  I mentioned this in a previous post and it bears repeating.  There is a power from above when it comes to speaking truth.  We may not want to hear it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still true.

During the movie with the same name, Forrest Gump says - "Stupid is as stupid does".  I understand that to mean that an intelligent person who does stupid things is still stupid. You are what you do.  So if we choose not to gain knowledge or wisdom, then what can we expect?   Getting wisdom means we open our hearts, minds - our senses - and we learn.

Anything else - closing that openness?  

Well, that's just being stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment