Saturday, January 16, 2016

Proverbs: Day 16 - The Best Laid Plans - [Chapter 16]

I've always believed the saying "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail." I would never equate my wisdom with Solomon's wisdom, but he echoes this prevailing thought with a divine twist. The first four verses of chapter 16 speak about plans.  In each instance, any human plans need to make some kind of connection with the Lord.

To humans belong the plans of the heart,but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue.
All a person’s ways seem pure to them,
but motives are weighed by the Lord.
Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
and he will establish your plans.
The Lord works out everything to its proper end
even the wicked for a day of disaster.

I know the truth of these proverbs.  I wish I could say I have always followed their advice diligently each and every day.  I think it's because I think I can do it on my own.  Perhaps my actions have that appearance.  Maybe even the result.  But (as I said every so often) I know that whatever I plan to do would be easier if I simply lifted it up to the Lord first, then acted. 

I know that more times than not, I'd like to believe that part of my framework implicitly trusts that the Lord is in the plans somewhere.  Maybe that isn't enough.  Perhaps I need to be more insistent in that.  Whatever the case, we are in much a better position if we start with the Lord's leading and guiding.

He is a master planner, after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment