Friday, March 20, 2020

40 Days of Embracing Uncertainty - Day 20 (for Thursday, March 19)


Historic moments in the past have usually been indelibly marked in our memories.  We can remember where we were and what we were doing when something really significant took place: September 11, 2001 – where were you when the attack on America took place?  November 22, 1963 – where were you when President Kennedy was assassinated?  Going back further, some will recall December 7th, 1941 – “a date which will live in infamy”.  There are others that we might recall depending upon our age.  

I will always remember one week ago on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 – the date when the coronavirus changed the way we lived in America.  If you recall, that was the first time this pandemic became real for us as our state and nation’s leadership spoke to us about our need to take this seriously.  Our lives have changed dramatically since that day only nine days ago.  It’s stunning, really, how much life has been altered.

Perhaps you are weary of hearing about this pandemic situation we find ourselves in – I apologize.  I’m not trying to add to our angst regarding this historic moment in the history of the world.  Likely, there aren’t many things I could write about this that you are not already aware of.  But when I talk about important dates and historic moments in life, I can recall a few other important dates that changed my life in so many good ways – August 24, 1974: on this day I married the love of my life, one of the best decisions I ever made or ever will make.  October 7, 1979, June 26, 1981, and January 14, 1983: these were the days that my three children were born.  Certainly my life changed on those days.  I haven’t been the same person since – it’s been the thrill of my life to be a father. 

There is one date in my life that I sometimes overlook, maybe even ignore or neglect.  January 1, 1982.  It was a Friday.  Nancy and I had moved back to the Grand Rapids area after living in Duluth for one year.  We had two small children and were living in a mobile home at the time.  I was working for the wholesale company in the Rapids.  We were both glad to be back in our home town area.  My brother Cary and his wife Nancy had come over to visit on this New Year’s Day in 1982.  Cary is one year older than I was – among all of my six brothers, he and I had done the most things together… played in the high school band (Cary played trumpet, I played trombone), played high school and college basketball on the same team (Cary was a point guard, I was a small forward), and we played on the same high school golf team (going to the Minnesota State Tournament in 1971).  We had a shared history together.

At the time, Cary was (and still is) a Baptist minister.  I’m not sure of the exact reason why he and Nancy had come over, but we were glad to have them join us on this first day of the new year.  I cannot say I remember everything about the conversation we had, but one moment of our visit stood out and I remember his words to me.  We were talking about faith and God and the things that Jesus has done for us.  My brother looked at me and said “Can you think of one good reason why you haven’t given your life to Christ?”  At that time in my life, a question like that was one I was ready to consider.  I wasn’t quite 28 years old, was attending church every so often (sang in the choir because my mother was still the choir director), and was working hard at my job.  I believed I was a good husband, a good father, a good guy. 

But none of those things would matter if Jesus wasn’t the Lord of my life.  In that moment, I knew in my heart that He needed to be exactly that.  Nancy was with me all the way.  With my brother, we prayed the prayer of salvation and asked Jesus into our lives. 

My life has been so blessed since that day!  I couldn’t have known that five years later I would be preparing to enter into the ministry; that eight years after that moment I would be a new pastor to two churches in west central Minnesota; that thirty-eight years later I would have been serving as a pastor for thirty years in Minnesota.  Since then, I’ve been able to graduate from college with a degree in management, seminary with a master of divinity, and from university with a doctorate of ministry.  I’ve learned so much (and yet, still have so much to learn).  I’ve met many amazing people.  I’ve seen so many wonderful sights.  I’ve witnessed a host of miraculous moments.

All because I had a brother who cared enough about me to ask the question I need to hear.

Today’s devotional reminded me of that day.  The rich man who had five brothers wanted Lazarus to warn his five brothers to change their lives so that they would not end up where he ended up.  It didn’t happen.  No one would tell his brothers – they would have to discover the truth for themselves. 

We always have an opportunity to witness to others through our faith.  We witness through our example, through our actions, through our words, through our giving, through our praise.  While we have the opportunity, we can witness to someone who may need to hear the question asked of them – especially if they are family. 

Can you imagine being able to remember the day a life was changed when Jesus was at the center?  It might be a historic day - I know it would be memorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment