Tuesday, March 3, 2020

40 Days of Embracing Uncertainty - Day 7 (for Wednesday, March 4)


I’ve been in a constant battle for the past 25 plus years.  It’s been a struggle because at times I’ve experienced brief successes only to retreat because it has been hard to sustain the effort.  I’m talking about weight gain (or loss).  I’m talking about the battle of the bulge.  I’ve been generally committed to the Sanford Profile Program of losing weight.  I say generally because my problem is the level of motivation that I attribute to the program… yeah, generally I’m committed to it.  And that is my problem.  I haven’t been fully committed to it.  I lose a few, gain a few back.  It’s been tough. 

I have high hopes, though – not ready to throw in the towel just yet.  Because I know what the root of the problem is: my motivation.  I haven’t been successful at zeroing in on the primary motivation for losing weight.  If motivation is the process that initiates, guides, and maintains goal-oriented behaviors – if motivation is what causes one to act with a goal in mind to reach that goal, then no.  I haven’t been able to focus on that motivation.  (This entry is supposed to be about the devotional from “Embracing the Uncertain” for today – trust me, I’ll get there – just a few more thoughts.)

Chapter 1 in the Profile Workbook is all about creating your motivation.  I listed three top reasons I want to achieve my goal: 1) To be healthier, 2) To look better, and 3) To feel better.  You’d think that those would be three pretty solid reasons in being motivated enough to stick with the plan.  But there are barriers (why are there always barriers?) that get in the way and threaten to derail any progress I might have made.  Right now, I’m drowning in the barrier reef of weight loss.

Ok, enough about my issues… how does the devotion deal with motivation?  The story is about a short interchange between Jesus, his disciples, and the Samaritans (from Luke 9:51-56).  Working backward, the Samaritans are motivated to despise Jews because they have differences of opinion with respect to their faith heritage.  The Samaritans believe they are the true remnant of Israel.  They oppose anyone who is going to Jerusalem.  The disciples are motivated to claim to rain down fire upon these Samaritans who reject Jesus.  And Jesus is “resolutely” motivated to head to Jerusalem – nothing was going to deter him from his ultimate mission – not his disciples’ desire to rain fire down on the Samaritans and not the Samaritans who rejected him.  Nothing would get in his way.  He was motivated.

It matters to me that Jesus was so driven in his motivation because he knew exactly what he was heading for in Jerusalem.  He chose the nails.  Because he was so motivated, I can live a life forgiven and freed – even if I struggle with the barrier reefs of weight loss. 

So can you – live forgiven and freed.  All you need to do is to get motivated and accept Jesus as Lord and Savior.  If you’ve done that, you’re on your way!  

If you haven’t, what is your motivation?  Better yet, what barrier reefs are holding you down?

No comments:

Post a Comment