Thursday, March 5, 2020

40 Days of Embracing Uncertainty - Day 9 (for Friday, March 6)

First of all, I must apologize.  I read through yesterday's blog again and I think it sounded like I was complaining.  Truly, I wasn't, but I can see how people might think that about what I wrote.  I know everyone has busy days.  Everyone has moments when life gets overwhelming and threatens to spin out of control.  Sure, life is crazy right now, but I didn't want to come across like that and if I did, I'm asking you to forgive me.  

I am better.  I am okay today.

I'll tell you why I am okay today - even in the aftermath of my whine and cheese party from yesterday's blog.  I met with a number of folks yesterday whose lives are in different places.  One man is still dealing with losing his spouse over four years ago.  He struggles yet today because he misses her presence.  Another person shared with me that she had been in the care center for years now - she told me the five room numbers she has lived in right up to this one.  She wasn't feeling all that well yesterday, but was glad I showed up to visit.  I received a call from a family member who shared the most recent news of the results of his cancer test - it was benign and he is on the road to a quick recovery.  Another family member is planning for a transplant procedure and we talked about how all that was going.  Yesterday, I was honored to deliver meals to various persons who live on the fringes of society.

So what makes today better for me?  It's a lot more than just realizing how fortunate I have been in my own life.  That's not where I am coming from - a perspective which reminds of the Pharisee who prayed by giving thanks that he was not like the others who were in a different situation of life than he was.  Not at all.  I am grateful that I have issues just like everyone else - issues that we can lay before the altar and know that God has things under control even if we don't always feel like we are in control.  

In this morning's devotion, Jesus tells the story of the good Samaritan.  A man is beaten on the narrow road down to Jericho.  Two persons pass by on the other side of the road - not wanting to even come close to the poor fellow - a priest and a Levite.  The Samaritan stops and is the one who helps the beaten man by taking care of his needs.  

This is the healing balm for me and why I can say that I am better.  Because those who are in difficult situations give me hope as they show their own faith in those struggling life situations.  I absolutely do not feel more righteous than anyone else.  

I feel normal.  

I'm glad I can be taught from others who are normal like me - dealing with the challenges of life, something everyone of us wrestles with.  The key is to draw near to others - especially those who are struggling.  We draw our strength and hope from them as we walk alongside them, being taught how to walk with dignity and steadfast faith in the midst of life's barriers and hurdles.  

Yeah, I feel normal.  I'm going with that...

No comments:

Post a Comment